I'm installing a new SCOM 2007 SP1 infrastructure in a test environment.
I built up a couple of SQL 2005 database servers and two management servers, one of each in each of two sites. I installed the SCOM database on the first SQL server and then installed SCOM on the first management server, making it the root management server (RMS).
After SCOM installs, setup asks if you want to run the Operations Console. I cleared the checkbox to do so and began to immediately upgrade to SCOM 2007 SP1. Big mistake. Now I couldn't log into the console with any account. It seems that SCOM needs to do some more setup when you run the console for the first time.
I ended up completely uninstalling SCOM from the RMS and deleting the OperationsManager database from the SQL server, then I reinstalled everything. This time I launched the console before upgrading to SP1. It worked, but wasted about an hour and a half.
Learn from my mistake.